Thursday 14 March 2013

Struisbaai Mussel Cracker

I find the best time for fishing is early-morning, about 2-3 hours before sunrise and the tide is coming in. Obviously wind direction, water temperature and barometric pressure plays a role but it is not always easy to get all these elements singing together. The sunrise over Struisbaai is beautiful though!


I caught this mussel cracker in Struisbaai early one morning on rising tide. I slid three pink prawns onto my hook line and tied two onto the hook. Hint: mussel crackers love pink prawns!!! They also like to feed on red bait, crabs, mussels, octopus, sardine, chocka and worms.


Mussel Crackers are, in my opinion, the strongest edible fish any angler in South Africa can catch from the side... definitely the V6 of the ocean! I find that most fish species will feed on prawn so by using this strategy you increase your chances of catching a fish.

In this video I included photos of Mussel Crackers caught by myself and a great fisherman friend of mine, Carel Cloete.




No comments:

Post a Comment